Adding a post categories widget to you the sidebar for your blog page is really easy as WordPress comes with a default post categories widget. However if you want to add a categories widget for your portfolio page then this requires a little bit of setup work, but don’t worry, its fairly easy too…just follow the simple steps below:
Firstly you need to create a custom menu for your Portfolio Categories (Screenshot):
- Go to Appearance > Menus
- Create a new menu
- Expand the Portfolio Categories, select the categories wanted and hit Add to Menu
- Order and Sort your categories
- Hit Save Menu
Once your menu for your categories is created, now you can add it as a widget to sidebar (Screenshot).
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Expand Portfolio Sidebar
- Drag & Drop Custom Menu to Portfolio Sidebar.
- Select the menu you previously created
- Save your widget
Bingo, you now have a Portfolio Categories widget for your sidebar.